Wednesday 29 October 2008

WHITE STOCKINGS AGAIN


You may recall that we had a short debate about the wearing of white kilt stockings. I think I made clear my opposition to such garments without wishing to offend anybody's sensitivities. I recall once wearing my green stockings (which toned with my Cameron kilt) when singing with the local choir at the Mod. I was taken to task by a young German lady who pointed to the fact that all the other men in the choir were wearing white stockings. I assured her that they were wrong and that these white stockings were a modern fashion perhaps borne by the kilt hiring firms in an attempt to have a neutral colour which would not clash with any tartan.


In a recent event in Bergues, Northern France to celebrate the 260th anniversary of "The Gentle Lochiel" by unveiling a plaque, one of our group - Julian Hutchings ceremoniously threw into an open fire a pair of white stockings to symbolise the opposition which his late friend David Lumsden of Cushnie had towards the offending white stockings. What do you think? I have posted a photograph of the open fire into which the stockings were cast.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does it really matter what colour?

Crooked Nose said...

Ultimately I am sure it is a matter of taste. My own comments relate to the fact that "white" seems now to be the colour that all the hire companies use and almost universally you see men at weddings with white stockings. I have no objection to that. After all it is great to see soo many young men wearing and wanting to wear the kilt. From a fashion point of view, the white stockings make the legs look short and stubby! I imagine that there are as many views on this topic as there are Scotsmen wearing kilts.