Thursday 22 November 2007

KILT STOCKINGS

Back on terra firma after a Trans-Atlantic Cruise. Wonderful weather, food, company, facilities etc. I wore my kilt on the formal dining occasions. There were several others also wearing kilts. There was a debate about white stockings. Personally, I have never worn white stockings either with my day or night outfit. However, it appears that many people regard white stockings as the correct dress wear. My presference is for stockings of a colour which tones with the kilt. My own recollection is that white stockings are a fairly recent development. However, things change. You may remember Jack McConnell going to tartan day in New York with a striped kilt. I have seen leather kilts and indeed every combination of material and design. What do you think about the stocking debate?

7 comments:

OldTarge said...

Lady Nancy A. MacCorkill of Scone, writes in her "Authentic History of the Kilt" (I Quote), Hose for Daywear can be a white or oatmeal colour, for evening they should be tartan to match the kilt,fine knit,woven or cut from the piece.Garters are of wool or worsted, and knotted with a garter knot,the end or flashes hanging below the overturn.At present elastic garters with tartan flashes attached are popular.

Anonymous said...

I was always led to believe, black jacket - white hose, tweed jacket - hose to match the jacket or kilt. But fashions change and who are we to stand in the way of progress(?) - as long as it doesn't look stupid or garish I have no real problem with changes. i must admit I was a bit dyed in the wool, but some recent changes have been very stylish indeed.
The biggest sin nowadays is not being able to wear the kilt at a decent height, so much so that knees are invisible!

Anonymous said...

For what it is worth I'm not fond of white hose either, particularly those nasty pipe band hose with bulky turnovers. For day wear I use a colour that goes with one of the main shades of the kilt I'm wearing, usually blue, green or red. I also have worn a natural rough wool, cream or grey for outdoors. For dress I use plain hose again in a co coordinating colour and at best I have diced hose for my hunting tartan kilt.



As far as I can discern from my 1920's tartan book (Scottish Clans and their Tartans) etiquette- If wearing a dress tartan kilt and plaid, then the hose should be uniform with it. I have never seen anyone wear the Cameron dress tartan containing white. In other cases the hose should match the plaid or kilt tartan, since one can wear a mix of tartans, clan and hunting. The hose should be made from the web of tartan or knitted in checks of its prominent colours in the proper proportions. Given that knitted diced kilt hose are so expensive a recent trend appears to be attractive in using a colour to co ordinate with the prominent kilt colour and then having a diced turn down top in the kilt colours.



Leandally

Anonymous said...

I always inspired by you, your opinion and attitude, again, thanks for this nice post.

- Murk

Anonymous said...

I don't want to be a genius - I have enough problems just trying to be a man.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.