Saturday 3 November 2007

TARTAN - A RECOGNISABLE UNIFORM OR A VICTORIAN MYTH


Dear Readers, I suspect my subject today is quite controversial. As someone who has worn a kilt as long as I can remember, I have great attachment to my various kilts. One which I still wear was given to me as a 21st birthday present 45 years ago. Personally, I feel that when I wear my Cameron kilt it identifies me as a Cameron and I must admit I will engage anyone wearing a Cameron kilt in conversation. In the mists of time the feileadh mor (in English philamore) as it was called was simply a blanket worn round the waist with the extra bit thrown over the shoulder. The colours represented the natural dyestuffs found locally and so to some extent the garment did relate to the area if not to the clan. It was the army that developed the kilt as the feileadh beag or philabeg the small kilt. This became popular with the Victorians - particularly the Scottish aristocracy and systematised the tartans. Nowadays we Camerons have a wide range of setts and tartans most based on the Clan Cameron tartan, the Cameron of Erracht and the Cameron of Lochiel. The latter is strictly reserved for the family. Today the kilt has become the essential male garment at weddings and the modern kilt with all its accessories is far removed from the traditional blanket carried conveniently draped around the body. But is this not true of all clothing? It adapts and changes according to the circumstances. What do you think?

1 comment:

OldTarge said...

Tartan is a recognisable form of uniform,think of the recently designer led "Chavs" who hijacked what was a respectable tartan and made it a cult garment and a way of belonging to a certain group in order to be recognised.

Coming back to common sense again, I also wear my Kilt whenever I can and it always prompts the Question, "What Clan do you belong to?".This starts a conversation that can lead in many directions.